In our previous Ostara post, we talk about the history and a few amazing ways to utilize this seasonal energy for celebration and self-care, such as with energetic cleansing or prayer writing. We want to build on that for you in ways you may not have heard previously, so here are additional ways to connect with Ostara and changes this spring.
Spell to Enchant Your Talisman Jewlery
Welcome Ostara with a gorgeous pair of Blessings Mini Stud Earrings from Blessed Be Magick.
Whilst Ostara is all about blooming, blossoming and growth we don't have to associate it with fertility alone. Here's a spell for enchanting jewelry to bring creativity and energetic enthusiasm to you for any passion projects, for any adventures you plan to take and for embracing the fun of the season!
What you'll need:
- Your piece of jewelry (necklace, bracelet, etc. and we recommend the Blessings collection)
- A piece of rose quartz
- A sprig of fresh rosemary
- A yellow or orange candle (plain white candle is fine if it's all you have)
- A lighter or matches
- A pen and paper
- Cleanse your jewelry by leaving it in the moonlight overnight (if possible).
- Place the piece of rose quartz and the sprig of rosemary near the candle.
- Light the candle and hold your jewelry in both hands.
- Close your eyes and visualize yourself filled with creative energy and enthusiasm. See yourself brimming with ideas, overflowing with inspiration, and eager to tackle new projects.
- Repeat the following incantation three times:
- Place the jewelry on the piece of rose quartz and sprinkle it with rosemary.
- On the piece of paper, write down a wish for increased creativity and energetic enthusiasm. This could be a specific project you're working on, a desire to have more ideas, or simply a general wish for more inspiration in your life.
- Roll the piece of paper and tie it with a ribbon or string. Place it near the candle.
- Let the candle burn down completely. When it's done, collect the ashes and bury them in the earth nearby.
- Put on your jewelry and feel the creative energy and enthusiasm flowing through you.
This spell is a great way to boost your creativity and add some extra energy to your day. By focusing on your intention and using the power of visualization, you can tap into your inner well of ideas and bring them to life.
Springtime Glamour Refresh Ritual
Not all witches have bathtubs for rituals, or even the time for a long soak. As a witchy mama, I'm lucky if I even remember what moon phase it is. Using spring flowers, our love for glamour magick to build confidence and refresh our energy, and a quick ten minutes to create some time for ourselves, here is a springtime-themed shower spell to top up our energy and refresh us for the season ahead.
What you'll need:
- Rose petals
- Bee balm
- A handful of salt
- A vial of water
- A small glass jar with a lid
- A pink or yellow candle
- A lighter or matches
- Fill the glass jar with equal parts of rose petals, chamomile, lavender, bee balm, and borage. These are all spring flowers that should be easy to access, but use what you have and even if it's just lavender available to you.
- Add a handful of salt to the jar and fill it with water from the vial. Close the jar and shake it gently to mix the ingredients. You're welcome to personalize the jar too, add more spring herbs/plants, or add crystals enchanted with set intention (like rose quartz).
- Light the candle and place it near the shower but somewhere safe to burn & not likely to cause any fire damage.
- Step into the shower, wash and pick up your jar then say the following incantation: "Petals of spring and self-love too, Spring refresh my energy - I call to you. With water and salt, my glamour I'll renew, Bringing beauty and grace in all that I do."
- Pour the contents of the jar over yourself, focusing on the areas you wish to refresh and recharge as specifically as you can.
- Close your eyes and visualize yourself glowing with newfound beauty and grace.
- When you're done, blow out the candle and step out of the shower, feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
This spell is perfect for a springtime refresh and can help boost your confidence, or enhance your natural beauty if that is your intention. My favorite element here though is that it's a self-love ritual, and one for which you don't need to take up too much time to perform.
Spring Sunrise Gratitude & Happiness Hunt
- Set your alarm for sunrise or a little before, and make sure to get a good night's sleep.
- When the alarm goes off, get out of bed and open the curtains or blinds to let the sunrise in.
- Stand in front of the window and take a few deep breaths, feeling the energy of the new day begin to flow through you.
- Close your eyes and make a mental list of five things you're grateful for. It could be anything from your health, your loved ones, a roof over your head, or even just the sunrise itself.
- Open your eyes and go on a gratitude scavenger hunt. Take in all the sights, sounds, smells, and textures around you. Here are some suggestions:
- Look for the first bird you hear singing and try to identify its species by its call.
- Smell the fresh morning air and notice any scents like flowers, trees, or grass.
- Touch the texture of your clothes, the floor or rug, and the objects around you.
- Listen for the sounds of nature, like leaves rustling in the wind or the distant hum of traffic.
- When you've completed the scavenger hunt, stand in front of the window again and close your eyes. Take a deep breath and imagine sending love and gratitude out into the world, knowing that it will come back to you tenfold.
- Open your eyes and go about your day with a grateful heart, ready to tackle whatever challenges may come your way.
This ritual is a great way to start Spring or Ostara with positivity and to cultivate a thankful attitude. By focusing on what we can be grateful for and engaging our senses, we can bring more joy and fulfillment into your life.For those who are very short on time this Ostara here are a few simpler ideas,
- Offering Stones: Bake yourself some salt dough offering plates. Fill it with stones, feathers and other trinkets to offer up your wishes for the season.
- Ostara tarot spread: For those who use witch's holidays as a marker to connect with your magick, try this Ostara tarot spread to explore the energies of the season.
- Reconnecting with the moon and its phases: Whilst the Sun returns for longer and we may feel a little more invigorated, it could be a great time to create balance in your life with both solar and lunar magick. As with the sunrise gratitude ritual above, spend some time with the Moon. Draw or write your wishes and aspirations under the light of a full moon and see what comes to pass in the weeks that follow.
Whatever form of magick and ritual you choose to celebrate Ostara with, remember it's all about expressing your own personal connection with the season. Whether you prefer folk traditions or something a little more modern, create rituals that speak to your heart, that bring joy and inspiration into your life. Until next time xoxWriters Bio: Lizzie Burgess, a secular divination Bosswitch, runs BackyardBanshee.com where you can learn more about divination methods, rituals and resources that help you with your growth spiritually and professionally. Lizzie is currently finishing the upcoming book “An A to Z of Modern Divination”, where they upcycle and modernize ancient divination methods for a more accessible divinatory practice.